Guest Post by Sara from "Her Electricocean" blog


What is change?

nature-fashion-person-woman-large.jpg



Change. I often find myself hoping for a change; be it in a new haircut, a new pair of glasses, a new wardrobe, or a new adventure. I'm not quite sure why, but change seems to appeal to me a lot of the time.


Sometimes, we resist change. Even though change can be refreshing, new, and exciting, it can also be terrifying. Routine can be comforting, and it can feel safe and secure- so sometimes something as simple as changing your morning routine can be that little bit scary. I'm sure that there are many reasons for this, but ultimately I think that it's because when we change, we finally have to accept that we're turning over to a new page, resulting in the previous page having to finally come to an end.
Change forces us to grow. Every day we change and we grow, like little caterpillars, who will one day become butterflies. If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies. The caterpillars would stay as they are, forced to stay on the ground in a futile attempt to survive. They would never become the truly beautiful creatures that the change would make them. We are much like these little creatures, only that the changes we experience are not usually as sudden as the change from caterpillar to butterfly. When I was looking through my little book of quotes, I came across this quote, which I think fits quite perfectly;


"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back, everything's different"


Change can come to us in so many different ways, and most of the time we don't even notice it. Things like age; we don't realise that we are growing and changing, until we look back and realise that we've grown from little babies who could barely speak, to young adults who are going to work for the first time. Or even something as simple as the seasons; we don't notice the change from summer to autumn until we see the leaves that have turned golden, or the air which has suddenly turned cooler.


In time, I've come to realise that everything changes. People change, seasons change, times change, trends change... everything. And there will come a time when you'll look at your favourite dress with disgust and wonder why you ever thought it was nice. That band you obsessed over for countless hours will grow old and stop recording music, or maybe they'll completely change their image completely. Maybe you'll change from a little girl or boy, to a young adult, to a mature man or woman. Perhaps your relationship with someone will change, for better or for worse.


That's okay. In fact, that's great! Change encourages us to grow, and to move on to a better place. I'm not saying that it'll be easy, in fact I want to warn you that it will be so, so hard at times. It'll be a challenge. But through this challenge, you'll be able to become the person you were meant to be all this time. You'll be able to graduate from being a caterpillar, into a beautiful majestic butterfly.

What changes have you experienced in your life, and how have they helped you grow? Hit reply and let me know!

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
You can visit Sara's blog: http://herelectricocean.blogspot.co.uk/
And also follow her on Instagram: @iamsosara
And Twitter: @alreadysara

1 comment

  1. This is such a great post. It is very important to understand that change is normal and a part of life. I know for me, I changed to become a better person and there is nothing wrong with that. Change can be a great thing most of the time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I will read all comments, and try my best to respond to most of them. I appreciate feedback and any suggestions, but I do not appreciate any sort of negativity that is posted.