My formalwear



Guess who had to plan for a trip in one day? Now, this wasn't just any trip. I had to pack for a trip to Monrovia, Liberia in one day and I will never be doing that again. My mother had called my brother and me to tell us, and I honestly thought she was joking but she wasn't. My family and I went to Liberia to attend farewell celebrations for my dad, who resigned from his position as Minister of Finance. One of the three celebrations was hosted by the president of Liberia, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. The part that made this trip so stressful was figuring out what I was going to wear to that celebration because it was a formal one. Luckily, one of the best Liberian designers saved me.

Now, I am not a huge fan of strapless dresses or shirts but this dress was different. When I saw this exclusive design, by Korto Momolu, I fell in love. I am also not a huge fan of pink, but the design of the dress is so compelling. Also, I needed something to wear in less than twenty-four hours. So this was the dress I wore:

 

I received a lot of compliments from people at the celebration, and took A LOT of pictures with people I did not know. Everyone was fascinated to see my mother, me, and my brothers. They knew that my dad was not actively present in our lives because he made a commitment to his country, and the president thanked us for letting him do that. At the honoring ceremony, Madame President took the time to list all my father’s accomplishments and I thought the list would never end. Now, I can say I am proud of my dad even though he wasn’t always there when I needed him most. I cannot say I suffered because my dad was not a part of my life the way he was supposed to be because I would be lying if I said that. He still made sure our family had the best; he was not always present, but he made sure our family was doing well. I had to consider the fact that my dad was not just taking care of our direct family; my dad took care of our family, our extended family, his friends, and many people of Liberia. I never realized how many lives my dad changed until this ceremony, and so many people are going to miss him in Liberia.


My family and me w/ Mme. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf


Almost everyone at the ceremony told me how thankful they were of my father, and gave their blessings to my family and me. Someone I will never forget at the ceremony was a deaf lady who, my father explained, would stand outside his office everyday waiting to see him. My father would provide her either money, food, or clothes each time. When I met her, I did not know she was deaf. She was trying to get my attention while I was taking pictures with other people, but I was confused by her hand gestures until it finally hit me that she was deaf. Her translator told me how sad she was that my dad was going to be leaving, and she began to cry. She gave me the biggest hug ever, and we took a lot of pictures afterwards. This is why people admire my dad so much. Most of the people in Liberia are very poor, so my dad takes the time to give out money to those who need it most. My dad is one of the most humble people I know with the biggest heart. After this ceremony, I realized that hard work pays off. My dad worked so hard, and so many Liberians are thankful for that. When I get older, I want to be able to do what my father did; I want to make a difference in people's lives. A goal of mine is to go back to Liberia, after medical school, to build a hospital and bring well-trained doctors to work there as well. I pray that I can accomplish that goal.
                                                                            -AK 

2 comments

  1. Your dress is beautiful! You look beautiful! Congrats to your father, he sounds like an amazing man. I loved reading this post, and knowing how much you admire your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dreah! He really is. Thanks for reading. ♡

      Delete

I will read all comments, and try my best to respond to most of them. I appreciate feedback and any suggestions, but I do not appreciate any sort of negativity that is posted.